Monday, November 30, 2015

ShaNo Final Update & December Goal Setting

Well, hello out there. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.



Before I jump into this post, I wanted to briefly address the Black Friday shooting in Colorado Springs. Some of you know I live in the Springs, and I had a few emails inquiring as to how I was doing. Since not all of you are on my Facebook, I figured I'd let you know all is well here. The shooting occurred about two miles up the road from me, but I was at home when it happened, and none of my family were there, either. So we're all good! Thank you to those who reached out. My thoughts are with those impacted by the tragedy.

(Please do not turn my comment section into a debate on the reasons and politics behind the shooting. I've heard plenty of that this weekend, and have no interest in having it occur here. Thank you for respecting my request.)

I had a big post planned today. I was feeling inspired. And then the big idea for the post flitted away. Flit, flit, flit. I've been trying to remember what it was all weekend. Hopefully it will come back to me. But for now, I'm just going to close out ShaNoShoStoWriEdSubMo (Shannon's Novel and Short Story Writing, Editing, and Submitting Month). Given, there's still time today. If I get anything else completed, I'll update Wednesday.



My goals were:

1. Write 2 new short stories 
2. Revise the 4 short stories/flash fiction currently in need of revisions
3. Submit 6 new short stories/flash this month
4. Complete the current round of revisions on Wendigo Nights

5. Post-outline and mark needed revisions on Lonely Hollow: Synthesis
6. Decide which novel project I will work on next

What I achieved was:

1. I wrote 1.5 new short stories.
2. I revised 1 of the short stories. And it turned out I only had 3 needing revision.
3. I submitted 1 new short story this month (the revised one), but realized it had been stupid to set the goal of submitting the 2 I'd planned to write. I want to run them by my critique group first. So the goal turned out to be submitting 3 (see note above about how many I actually had needing revision).
4. I didn't touch Wendigo Nights. :( 
5. I didn't touch Lonely Hollow: Synthesis. >:|
6. Done!

I didn't do as well as I would have liked with these goals, but I got a lot of things not on the list done, due to things coming up, and I'll continue the remaining goals into December. I need something to keep me going with writing stuff as we go into yet another busy month. 

So my December goals will be:

1. Finish second short story.
2. Revise both short stories and submit to critique group (which means I need to finish in the next week, so it may just be 1 submitted this month.)
3. Revise both short stories after critique and submit for publication.
4. Finish current round of revisions on Wendigo Nights (so close...grrrrrr).
5. Post-outline and mark needed revisions for next round on Lonely Hollow: Synthesis.
6. Start making notes on as yet untitled next novel.

Aaaand, nope. Still don't remember what I wanted to write about today. So I'll see you guys Wednesday. 

How did you do with NaNo? Will you be writing until midnight tonight to finish, or are you done already? If you didn't finish, did you get close? Have you set any goals to keep your momentum going in December?

May you find your Muse.


18 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I need to work on my December goals/plan, but a lot of stuff is flitting out of my head, too. NaNo takes up a lot of room in there. :)

Glad you and your loved ones are okay.

Murees Dupè said...

Congratulations on your progress! You did great. I definitely need to get my butt in gear. I'm behind on my goals. I'm so glad you and your family are safe. All the best with your December goals.

Arlee Bird said...

So many times I've intended to post on something that seems like a great idea that only ends up as an idea tucked away in the back closet of my brain. I admire your setting goals as well as your accomplishments. Keep up that good work!

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

M.J. Fifield said...

I ended up 14,000 words behind in NaNo this year. Not my best showing, but not my worst, either. And I don't really have any December goals, either. All my projects are in a drawer until the New Year.

Best of luck with your goals this month. So glad to hear that you and your family are safe.

Yolanda Renée said...

The best thing I achieved this month was reading and writing reviews for the books I've read. So important, and yet something I tend to put off, well, no more. Caught up and ready to begin something new - okay not new, but to finish something on my to do list. Checking those things off is such a pleasure. So glad NaNo is over! Congrats on achieving your goals!

shelly said...

Hope you fulfill your goals. Glad you're doing well. I'm keeping up w I th my 1000 word a day goal. If I keep it up, I'll have a novella finished by Cheistmas.

Susan Kane said...

Your tenacity is incredible! Like Lee above, I will have a great idea, and by the time I pick up the pen, it has gone. Now, I tell my husband the idea for him to remember.
Congratulations of your accomplishments.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Didn't do NaNo but I wrote a lot of words this month. I'm trying to get the first rough draft of a novel done by the end of the year but had to pause to do edits on another book. Sounds like you got a lot done.

Traci Kenworth said...

Great goals, Shannon!!

Shannon Lawrence said...

NaNo definitely takes up plenty of room.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I hope you're able to catch up with your goals.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thanks! Yes, this is definitely not the first time I've had a great idea, and then it disappears.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Man, that means you still got some fantastic progress done. Congrats!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I tend to get my reviews done in fits and spurts. Then I'll sit there and try to hit everything I've read that I can remember.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Good luck on your 1000 word a day goal!

Shannon Lawrence said...

That's a good plan! I will occasionally send myself a quick email or put the topic as a title in a new blog post then save it so I can update when I have a chance.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Congrats on getting a lot of words done! That's really the point of NaNo, anyway. To get those words.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thanks!