People from around the world have tuned in to the water protectors' efforts at Standing Rock. Representatives from many tribes and countries made their way to Standing Rock these last few months. They've dealt with unpleasantness in many guises, but there are still water protectors standing up for what they see as right. Internal politics and inter-tribal issues have been set aside while they band together to fight the "black snake."
The purpose of this blogathon is to stand in solidarity with the Standing Rock Sioux in a global month of action to overcome the veritable press whiteout on the #nodapl efforts now being supported by people of all colors and countries. If you're familiar with Nicole, you know her background in film. We're highlighting a super short documentary by filmmaker Lucian Read, entitled Mni Wiconi: The Stand at Standing Rock.
Together with Nicole at The Madlab Post and Misha at The Five Year Project, we invite you to stop the censorship and corporate media whiteout of the #NoDAPL movement, by participating in the Mni Wiconi Blogathon.
PLEASE READ ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE SUBMITTING BLOG POSTS.
How To Participate:
1. Write an open letter to a bank of your choosing, in response to the film Mni Wiconi: The Stand at Standing Rock and publish it on your blog between Dec. 27 - Jan. 2. (e.g. Dear Wells Fargo, Why Are You Funding Water Contamination? or Dear Chase Bank, You Can't Drink Oil)
- You can watch the film at the bottom of this blog post.
- Must be written to one of the 38 banks involved (17 are directly funding DAPL.
- A $1.4 billion loan is on hold while the Army Corps permit for drilling under the Missouri River is suspended. This means there's still time for the banks involved in this loan to cut their line of credit.
- Only submit NEW posts. Previously published posts will not be eligible for the giveaway (see below). If you do not have a blog, consider doing a guest post for another blogger or posting your entry on Medium.
2. Add the blogathon badge to your post
3. Send us your post by filling out the form below:
One entry per person, not per blog.
Must be received by Monday January 2, 2017 12:59pm EST
4. Promote your post on social media using the hashtags #WaterisLife #Blogathon #DefundDAPL #BankExit
Nicole will post a list roundup of the participating blogs, as they are received and compiled, throughout the week and share the lists on social media.
*courtesy of @MadlabPost & Do1Thing
On Tuesday January 3rd, Nicole will randomly select five participants who will win a 2017 Do1Thing wall calendar and an emergency swag bag filled with a water bottle, first aid kit, KIND granola, flashlights and related goodies. The first winning gift recipient who responds to my notification will also receive a Star Wars themed surprise.
Some other resources:
Divest From DAPL (tips for moving bank accounts)
Global Month of Action
Even if you won't be participating in the blogathon, I hope you'll give the video a quick viewing.
Did you watch the video? Have you seen any other informative videos about DAPL you'd care to share? Will you be participating in the blogathon? Have you heard of the DAPL protests?
May you find your Muse.